What To Do When You Have A Broken Or Chipped Tooth

A cracked or broken tooth can occur at any time and result from an accident, blow to the face, or even tooth decay. While a broken or cracked tooth is not usually serious, you will understandably be looking to get treatment as soon as possible.

It is crucial for you to see a dentist and not your GP. A GP is unable to provide dental treatment, and they do not have the experience, training, or equipment to make a tooth repair.

Should you have an accident that causes a broken tooth and the incident occurs out of the usual dental practice hours, you should still call the surgery. When no one is there, the answering machine will give you instructions on what to do. If you are not registered with a dentist or cannot get an emergency appointment, you should first call NHS 111.

How To Care For A Broken Tooth

It is vital to seek treatment and see your dentist as soon as possible. Failure to treat a broken tooth could lead to more severe issues. It could lead to an infection, which might cause you to lose your tooth altogether.

Not all broken or cracked teeth cause pain, but there are ways to treat discomfort. You can use over-the-counter pain relief if the tooth is painful. To clean the damaged area and prevent infection, you should rinse the mouth with salt water.

The area affected may be jagged or sharp. If you wish to protect your tongue, lips, or cheek, you can cover it with wax paraffin or sugar-free chewing gum. Choose soft foods and drinks that are neither very hot nor chilled if you need to eat before seeking treatment.

If the incident causes part of your tooth to break off, you should try to save the piece. You should place the piece of tooth in whole milk or saliva (your child’s if it is their broken tooth). You can spit into a bag or small container or store the piecebetween your cheek and gum. The dentist may be able to glue the fragment of the broken tooth back on. If this is not possible, then the dentist can help with various treatments.

What A Dentist Can Do To Help

Our dentists can help you with a cracked, chipped, or broken tooth through various treatments, including:

  • Filling – The dentist makes a filling or carries out a procedure called bonding for visible teeth. Bonding uses a tooth-coloured composite resin.
  • Crown – The dentist creates a crown, which is a cap that completely covers the broken tooth. The crown can be made from various materials such as porcelain-infused metal, resin, or ceramic.
  • Root canal treatment – This option is if you have a severely broken or cracked tooth and your nerve is exposed. The procedure cleans and removes dead pulp before the area is sealed. Usually, a crown will be made after root canal treatment.

To arrange an appointment to see a dentist about a broken or chipped tooth, please contact our team.